Here’s what you need to know this morning.
Men charged over brawl
Three men have been charged over the alleged assault of two teenage girls in inner Sydney at the weekend.
Police say the two girls, aged 16 and 18, were assaulted when a group of people became involved in a verbal argument at Pirrama Park in Pyrmont on Saturday night.
Video of the brawl shows several young men repeatedly hitting two young women and throwing them to the ground.
The men, aged between 21 and 29, were arrested shortly afterwards and have been charged with affray and common assault.
They’ve been refused bail to face court tomorrow.
Truck crashes into yard, misses pool
A dump truck has crashed through a fence and rolled into a backyard pool area in Sydney’s north west.
It’s believed the handbrake failed, causing the truck to roll across a front yard and into the pool area in Cherrybrook.
Police say the driver wasn’t in the truck at the time of the crash.
Kings Cross is back
Sydney’s nightlife is about to ramp up again, with the lockout laws lifted in Kings Cross overnight.
The change means patrons can now enter pubs, bars and nightclubs after 1.30am.
The standard 3:00am “last drinks” time will increase to 3:30am and shots, discounted cocktails and the use of glass after midnight will also return.
Kings Cross is now in line with the Sydney CBD precinct where restrictions were lifted 12 months ago as part of the NSW government’s COVID-19 recovery plan.
Millions to boost low emissions technologies
The NSW Energy Minister will today announce plans to offer hundreds-of-millions of dollars to help heavy industry transition to low emissions technologies.
Matt Kean will travel to Bluescope in Wollongong to detail how businesses can apply for the $750 million Net Zero Fund Industry and Innovation Fund.
It will also look at developing low carbon industries and clean technology.
Expressions of interest will open from April.
Time to talk about consent
Female MPs from across the political spectrum are calling for an overhaul of sex education in New South Wales schools, to include discussions around consent.
Greens MP Jenny Leong, Liberal MP Felicity Wilson and Labor’s Marjorie O’Neill are backing a petition to trigger a debate in the Legislative Assembly on the need for age-appropriate consent education.
Ms Leong says International Women’s Day is the perfect day to start the conversation.
“There needs to be better and earlier education about issues of consent, issues of respect, a holistic approach to education around sexual assault and sexual violence that is provided within our school system and in the curriculum.”
The petition requires 20,000 signatures.
Appeal for missing man
Police are appealing for public information to find a man missing from Sydney’s inner-west
Adam Nicholson, 43, was last seen at his home on Burwood Road, Burwood, about 3.30pm on Sunday, February 28.
Police and family have concerns for Mr Nicholson’s welfare due to his medical conditions.
Mr Nicholson is described as being of Pacific Islander appearance, about 180-185cm tall, of solid build, with grey/black hair, and green or hazel eyes. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie, black track suit pants and white Nike Air Max shoes.
Police are urging anyone with information about his whereabouts to contact Burwood Police Station or Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.
Homeless numbers in NSW fall
The number of people sleeping rough across New South Wales has fallen.
The state’s second annual street count shows there’s been a 14 per cent drop in the number of people sleeping on the streets.
The NSW government has recorded 1,131 people sleeping rough, compared to 1,314 last year.
Minister for Families, Communities and Disability Services Gareth Ward said people in more than 280 towns were counted.
“The latest survey reveals a 14 per cent reductions in rough sleeping across the state and in the most significant area, the city of Sydney where we see the most rough sleepers there’s been a 19 per cent reduction,” he said.
Indigenous education rules at Minto
Nicole Wade remembers being a young student and wanting to be invisible at school, feeling disconnected from the students and teachers who didn’t recognise her as an Aboriginal person.
The 40-year-old now has a career in the very industry she felt so disconnected from.
Ms Wade is the principal at Campbellfield Public School in Minto, in Sydney’s south-west, where the number of enrolled Indigenous students, 43, exceeds the state’s average.
Implementing Indigenous culture and history in the school curriculum has increased enrolments from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families.
She says the school aims to teach children they can use their voice and be “change agents” despite where they grew up.
“It doesn’t matter that you’re living in a low socio-economic community. In fact, they’re our strengths,” she said.